Schools may decide to issue hotspots to SummerSail students if they do not have Wi-Fi at home. The following steps will need to be completed on each iPad in order to connect to the hotspot. We recommend that you verify connectivity before the student takes his or her iPad home. The Wi-Fi settings on the hotspots are preconfigured.
I. On an Individual iPad:
- Plug in the hotspot and then press the Wi-Fi button.
- Once the hotspot’s blue Wi-Fi indicator light is on, tap the Settings icon on the iPad. Then tap Wi-Fi.
- Select the network summersail.
- When prompted, enter the password: 12Light3Sail45. Do NOT share the password with the students; the hotspots are for students to access the LightSail application only.
- The iPads are now connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- To verify that the connection is successful, log in to LightSail with the student’s username and password.
- Verify the iPad reconnects to the hotspot by toggling Airplane Mode or turning Wi-Fi on and off.
- To do so, tap Settings > Airplane Mode (tap green slide button) or tap Settings > Wi-Fi > Slide the Wi-Fi button to Off and then On.
- If the iPad reconnects to summersail after turning Airplane Mode or Wi-Fi off and then on again, then the setup was successful.
- Your iPad is now connected to wireless internet!
II. Important Notes:
- Teachers should provide each student with the SummerSail Hotspot Instructions – Students document.
- Hotspots are for use with the LightSail application ONLY.
- Each hotspot has up to 500 Mbps of data per month. If a student exceeds this amount, they will not be able to continue reading with the hotspot connection.